Monday 10 February 2014

GTB WHERE IS MY MONEY?



I received a mail from an aggrieved reader and a customer of GTB (Adeone Adeola),hope GTB responds to this:

I was in Dubai for a conference in March 2013.At the expiration of my stay on Sunday 17th March, 2013, I needed some cash to settle my hotel bills and other incidentals, I went to one of the ATM belonging to the commercial bank of Dubai near the hotel I was staying, to withdraw 1,200AED (N54, 000).At the first attempt, the transaction was denied, but I discovered that my account has already been debited. I walked into the bank to lodge a complaint, but I was advised to get back to my bank in Nigeria, who will file the complaint on my behalf. Since I did not make alternative arrangements, I was left cashless and stranded on a foreign land. It was by a share miracle I was able to return home.

On the 19th March when I arrived home, I went to Ilorin GRA branch of GT bank to lodge the complaint, presenting the ATM receipt as an evidence of the denied transaction. I was given a card dispute form to fill and submit, which I did. Few days later I called the customer care to find out the likely time of resolution was told it will take 45 working days to resolved. At the end of 45 days, I called to find out what has been done but got no reasonable response. At a point I was even told no complaint of such was ever lodged. I went back to the bank’s branch and the complaint was resent in my presence. I waited for another 45 days and there was no response whatsoever from GT bank. All my calls and complaints fell on deaf ears. I was given the attitude of “Go and die”

Finally in the first week of August 2013, I took my time to go to GT bank headquarters in Lagos, where I was directed to speak to a faceless officer over the intercom. With the arrogance of a peacock, in the most uncomplimentary manner, the lady told me over the intercom that their investigation revealed that the disputed transaction was successful and that the cash was received by me. My first question to her was that, I lodged this complaint since March 19th March 2013, why are you just telling me the outcome of your investigation in August, 2013? .Secondly, I asked her if it was possible for the ATM machine to issue me a receipt for transaction denied and then record a successful transaction in its leger. Thirdly, I said I have a printout receipt from the ATM machine as an evidence that the transaction was denied, where is the evidence that the ATM paid me the cash? She mumble some incoherence excuses and then hung up.

I left disappointed in a bank I have been loyal to for over 10 year. With my trust and confidence eroded, I promise to get to the root of this daylight robbery.

Two weeks later, I received a letter from the complaint unit of the GT bank, telling me that I had received cash for the disputed transaction.

I returned to Dubai in the first week of February, 2014.Armed with the denial letter from GT bank, I went to the commercial bank of Dubai, where the transaction occurred. Unlike their arrogant counterpart here in GT bank, I was given a warm welcome and the CSO listen to my plight. The CSO told me that it is impossible for their ATM machine to honour my transaction in the first place as it can only process MASTERCARDS denominated in dollars or Pounds. Since my MASTERCARD was denominated in Naira, the transaction will always be denied. To prove this point, I went outside the bank and tried 3 MASTERCARDS denominated in Naira and all was denied.

I was then advised to go to the Bank’s headquarter in Deira city Centre where I will be provided with further proof.

I have since stopped operating all my accounts in GT bank before they run me out of business.

This is not the first time GT has failed in resolving transaction issue, but this is one case too many.

The question I now ask GT is WHO HAS MY MONEY?

3 comments:

  1. Most of these new generation banks are fond of this nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your plight. Thinking a little deeply, how do you want the bank or anyone who can help get in touch with you when there is no customer name and no account number. GTB may somehow come across this, you never know!!! #justsaying #empathizing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem is that gtbank probably didn't make room for the kind of increase that occurred in their customer base. The bank used to be really great at almost everything until the 'population explosion' happened.

    ReplyDelete